Monday, August 30, 2010

Looking for sites to help you indenity VINTAGE FASHION?

I was recently reading a post in a forum where a seller kindly gave a huge list of useful links. Here are the ones that I think are the most useful

FASHION ENCYCLOPEDIA what I don't care for however is that there are not any pictures and I tend to learn best from visuals such as found in this visual dictionary showing different dress styles .

The most useful link however is from the VINTAGE FASHION GUILD which provides a great time line on the front page and follows throw with information that is both useful and interesting. such as what I found here in the 1950 1960 category

"A female function was to entertain or attend social gatherings - all to promote and further their spouse's career. Cocktail dresses - short versions of ball gowns - were essential. A woman was expected to wear a hat outside of the house (except for the most formal evening occasions) and gloves at all times - short for day, long for evening. Men tended almost to universally wear suits. The practice of dressing young people like their elders was still common, with the 'mother/daughter' look as particularly in vogue. " Here is an example that I have in my inventory of the great cocktail dress.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Photos by C. Reinke HAUNTED HOUSE